Filmed on location at “Landhuis Savonet” one of the oldest Plantation Houses in the hemisphere. The house was originally build in the period 1660-1664 in assignment by Mathias Beck, Vice –director under Peter Stuyvesant who was Governor of both New Amsterdam (New York City) and the Netherlands Antilles.
The flashback pictures in the film are actual pictures of the family of the slaves who belonged to the owners of Landhuis Savonet. The pictures all taken in the same locations where Savoneta was filmed: on the porch of the house and around the premises. During slavery, dark skinned slaves mostly worked in the fields and the light skinned ones, (mostly iligemate children of the plantation owners) worked as house slaves.